27 June 2024

Groovin' with the Tri-City of Negros Occidental (3/3)

 


"...I've got all my love to give 
And I'll survive 
I will survive, hey, hey..." ðŸŽœðŸŽ¶ðŸ’ƒ

SiSeñora Gloria Gaynor! Survival is the name of our future. 

Similarly this is the rationale behind the construction of  Cinco De Noviembre Mark Point. Out of the Negrenses love for their territory,  they revolted against the Spaniards to end their rule on Negros Island. 

Love...

revolt ...


and freedom .... 


made them survive!

A block away from Cinco De Noviembre is Balay Negrense. Unluckily it was closed for restoration so we made do of a pictorial outside. But surprise, surprise! There were young lovebirds on Victor Fernandez Gaston ancestral house balcony who appeared to have so much fun documenting their tryst. Did they sneak through the garden gate? I'm a little green with envy! Waaaaaaa! 



Since we failed to explore Balay Negrense we immediately returned to the car. Openly and warmly waiting for us was Hofileña Ancestral House which is also located in Cinco De Noviembre Street. Imagine being teleported to the Spanish epoch in Negros Occidental by gallivanting on this barangay and be a part of history!

Entrance fee in this ancestral house was also Php 100 ($1.70) just like in Negros Museum. Seated beside a male staff, who received my payment at the verandah/reception area, was a white-haired Spanish-looking handsome old man. Tersely exchanging pleasantries with him, I learned that he once resided in Las Piñas City and studied in UST. I later knew from the female tour guide that he is  one of the nine children of Manuel Severino Hofileña, the patriarch of the house. I was in awe knowing that all Don Manuel's children became artists in various fields. 



With the many antiques, paintings from national artists (which were off-limits to photographers) and other priceless art works, what really caught my attention was seeing kokeshi as part of this family's humongous collection. In fact it's in this heritage house where I discovered that this is the smallest doll in the world. A kokeshi collector since 2015, I understand very well the value of these dolls. 






I told you. The manifestation of my insurgent anima couldn't be suppressed. That raised right arm with a clenched fist gave me away. Silently in my head, I shouted: 

"Punitin ang śedula!"

"Kalayaan para sa mga indiyo!"

"Ipaglaban ang kalayaan ng Pilipinas!"



Now a two-minute travel from Noviembre De Cinco brought us to San Diego Pro-Cathedral in Silay. That's mercurial!


Arthur has now familiarized himself with the drill. I entered the pro-cathedral to pray and then capture its glory afterwards.  

So why is this religious structure called pro-cathedral? Based on my research, it's a church used as a cathedral by a bishop until a more permanent or suitable church is built. 


Silay pumped up my anticipation for the last city where we'd do sightseeing. It's here where I'd fantasize about being in Italy, Rome. Remember there are hundreds of amazing Roman ruins.  

In the course of our travel, Arthur directed me to a road going to Campuestohan Highland Resort. This is included in his list of scenic sights, but I had it scrapped since I was already gung ho about reaching The Ruins. What's more I didn't plan of swimming for this trip. 

Few minutes passed by, we stopped at a church, a replica of the St. James the Greater Church in Medjugorje, Bosnia-Herzegovina. It was another chance to ask for the saint's  intercession for Sunday marathon. Unfamiliar with this religious site,  I sought Google's help and learned that the church in Medjugorje became popularly known around the world for the apparition of Mary to six Herzegovinian Croat teenagers in 1981. Constructed in Barangay Matab-ang, this replica symbolizes the unwavering Catholic faith of the Negrenses. 
 


From Matab-ang, our dyad drove to the Top One tourist destination in my note.  









We synced up our arrival at The Ruins with the sunset since its the best time to capture its splendor. However, we did not anymore wait for the sunset colors to fully fill up the remains of what was once a beautiful mansion because we had to get back to Bacolod City so I could rest. Besides, it was a tough contest taking pictures without photo-bombers at the background. *e-laughs* 


"The Ruins, a symbol of love and beauty that rises from the ashes..." What a befitting poetic and very romantic description of the Taj Mahal of Negros! I clearly saw the visual imagery this illustration of "rising from the ashes" like the phoenix bird provides. It's enrapturing! 

Return to Bacolod City would mean not missing this eye-catching welcome marker. I became more animated!


Imagine traversing from one municipality to another within 20-25 minutes?! Whoa! This is already a miracle in Manila. Hence, being stress-free from our road trip, I  had all the patience waiting for my turn to have the mandatory shot at the New Government Center (NGC). Hahaha. A running couple was busy shooting a vlog and I found entertainment from watching them. At last, we saw a window! Gotcha!



Day tour ended before 6:30pm. Arthur dropped me at the hotel lobby and you just had to look at my face to assess the result of my day's chosen warm-up leg exercises. It exudes absolute delight and sincere gratefulness to my commendable local guide/photographer, Arthur R. Sinoy
Image Source: Arthur R. Sinoy

Asking for a reasonable service charge, he gave me an experience in Negros Occidental that is worth shouting about! Mind you, he did not cut corners. Likewise, with his happy disposition he was a big factor in inviting all positivity which I carried with me on the road during Bacolod City Marathon 2024. Candidly, I won't think twice hiring him again! And with Arthur's assurance regarding tourists' safety, I gained more confidence in going out alone that evening to have my night's final glycogen supercompensation. *beams*







fin



 

















































No comments: