20 July 2024

Embarcadero: NOT for Running on EMPTY


Beat on me unceasingly and I'll surely carry on!
The hotter, the better for I came prepared. 

Read this like an army running cadence call and you successfully penetrated my psyche during my heat training run at Embarcadero De Legazpi on May 6. 

It was my original schedule on May 5, but was put off due to an outing with my friends. Deciding to push through with it the following day, I set my mind on accomplishing a two-hour run. Initially I intended to start it at the hotel where I was billeted, but changed my plan because of my unreliable inner compass. *rolls eyes* Consequently I took a jeepney going to Legazpi and confirmed with the driver that he would pass a drop-off point near the boulevard. 

I arrived at the site around 8:10 am. The mall which I passed by was already full of people, whom I overheard were job applicants. It made me start my run right away so as not to entertain politically-related thoughts due to this existing unemployment problem in our country. *sighs*




I  struck the hot road. The scalding heat had begun permeating through my shoes, yet I did not let it affect my momentum. Knowing that the heat index in Bacolod City might be higher during the marathon, I had to be ready for it. With the majestic Mayon Volcano watching me, I had to show her why I am an oragon. Hahaha. 




Memories of my childhood were unearthed when I saw this marquee. Puro Beach was our family's favorite summer destination. I have no more idea whether the beach still exists after many urban developments here. 


The best part of my return to Embarcadero after more than a decade though was bumping into my first cousin, from my father side. He was with his wife. We're coming from opposite directions, hence I deduced that they're about to leave the boulevard after exercising too based on their sporty attire. I was thrilled touching base with Manoy Sil whom I last saw in 2000. 




What an indelible serendipitous moment! We had a quick updating before they left. Now, I was the lone person exercising at the boulevard! Ha-ha. 

It was indeed a beautiful Monday morning especially when I reached this mark, which was a good omen.


You see, while I was in the course of my training run, one of my sons was also fighting his own battle in school. After what seemed to be an endless wait, I got the update. The good news made me stay longer in the sun. Never did I feel exhausted because I was blissfully happy! But, I had to end my running upon checking the time. It reminded me that I had to drop by my eldest sister's house for lunch and afterwards prepare for departure.  

Walking briskly from Embarcadero, I located the St. Raphael the Archangel Parish where we used to attend Mass during our younger days. There I profusely expressed my gratitude. 


Unquestionably, in any struggle we must keep our spirit alive. This was one of life lessons which we instilled on our son. Equally, I pushed myself to train harder instead of giving into the taunting of my muscles to stop. 

Why should I be running on empty when my shirt has been screaming at me? 





fin








No comments: