28 August 2024

The Genesis of an Islander's Life in El Nido

 


El Nido, here I am!
But, allow me to count the years the last time I was in Palawan, where you are a municipality, before having this surprise "tryst" with you. 

It's 29 years back with Soc, a college best friend,


and it's 30 years past with my sister Cristy who was my companion/guide on my very first plane ride to PPS.


Absolutely our trip three decades ago was extraordinary since our hospitable and warmhearted host Francis, another college best buddy, made us feel at home while exploring his beloved paradise. No wonder I returned the year after. For my third trip to the "Philippines' Last Frontier" though, El Nido was my destination and not anymore Puerto Princesa. This time no more reminder from my sister to chew a bubble gum (and not to plug it inside my ears!!!) 
to get rid of airplane ears and popping. *laughs*




Truthfully, El Nido was no longer in my bucket list after reaching Puerto twice and having seen and swum in its exotic beaches. However, when my sister resumed her vv (vacation vengeance πŸ˜‚) she asked my sons and me whether we wanted to join her during the long-weekend break this August. It was negative for my three sons. So by default, I was the one who could accompany her. Lucky Spicy Rabasera! 

Everything went smoothly from our early flight on August 22, Thursday down to our arrival at our accommodation for three days. 



We ate our breakfast at the hotel roof deck while waiting for the standard check-in time. The scenery that met us at the sixth floor was a preview of El Nido's beckoning charm.





The two of us didn't rush with our meal which led to making a supposition that something's missing in the dishes. Hahahaha. 


Being food geeks and cooking enthusiasts, we seemed to slightly repel from what we ate and drank. Well, keen examination is the next step before making our conclusion as regards cuisines of El Nido. 

After hours at the lounge area of Sea Cocoon Hotel, we were granted an early check-in at 12:00pm. Our room screamed comfort upon entering it. Thus, we opted to rest for a while before having our first stroll on the island and our late lunch-cum-very early dinner in an Italian resto.









For the second time, we again expressed our assessment and arrived at a verdict that perhaps, the dishes cater to foreign taste palates due to the low level of sweetness and saltiness, or most probably our cooking is just so aboriginal. 

Return to the hotel ended our day's sked. We both agreed to sleep early for our August 23 itinerary: island hopping. My sister was already enjoying her bed before 8:00 pm struck. In my case, it was a different one. A night owl, I still had a high level of energy to do any activity. Around 11:00pm I went out of the hotel to catch a glimpse of El Nido nightlife and to satisfy my cravings for shawarma. *chuckles* 

Colorfully and brightly lighted diners, souvenir shops and live bands welcomed me while an announcer's booming voice at a late night basketball game could be heard from the sound system. Fellow tourists of diverse origins, preoccupied with their respective affairs, filled the street and the establishments along Calle Hama. Suum cuique. To each his own. Hence, I felt like a ghost navigating my way to the shawarma store. Yup! I "invisibly" had that small night walk on the island for shawarma! I succeeded and tasted something biiiiig, legit and delicious. *burps*


Eating passed my dinner time was a "tolerable" violation of the diet I've been doing for almost three months now. I  believe that cheat days are part of fully enjoying an R & R, eh? Don't you agree? *winks*

I think I conked out past 3:00 am. However, I had a deep sleep again after days of not having one. Maybe my excitement upon seeing our Friday island hopping itinerary became responsible for my sleep hormones to work properly. 




Dear Readers, Spicy Rabasera hopes that you'll be adrenalized to read about her exploration which she'll be narrating in her forthcoming articles posthaste. 

Stay tuned!

fin





 



















No comments: