30 August 2024

Tales El Nido: My One-Night Eutopia



A teaser of my recent getaway... 



...was the secret key to my one-night eutopia on August 24. 

Soc, one of my college best friends and kumare (my twins's baptismal godmother), saw my post and PM'd me at 8:31pm on August 23 inquiring whether I was in El Nido. My affirmative answer led to her mentioning that Macky, her youngest brother, owns two diners on the island: Hayahay Cafe and Coworking and Tales of the Islands Cafe (aka Tales El Nido). I was ecstatic and searched for their locations using Waze. From our accommodation, Hayahay is only a 12-minute trip while Tales El Nido is just a nine-minute walk! Whoa! I checked our itinerary for Saturday to see if I could squeeze in a visit to these cafes. I informed Mareng Soc that I'd update her once I succeeded in locating one or both of these business establishments. 

August 24 turned out super fun but a little energy-sapping for my sister and me after our DIY beach hopping and souvenir hunting. As usual, I was still up and about on our third night which resulted to my last evening adventure. Moreover, I had to address my hunger pangs again. That instant, I only had one destination in mind - Tales El Nido. It was the perfect time to look for it. So past 9:00pm I exited the hotel and traced the route which I remembered from Waze. A poor navigator, I noticed that I'd already walked for more than 10 mins, but there's no sign of the resto. I stopped and approached a most reliable human compass -  a street vendor. He was familiar with the place and gave me a user-friendly instructions: go straight to that opposite street, turn right and then turn left. No more, no less. 

Were the peddler's given directions more accurate than Waze? Did I find Tales at once? Oh, yessssss!


With that eye-catching business signage I knew I found one of Macky's babies in El Nido. 


An affable staff met me and respectfully said that they're closing. I was a little taken aback with her statement since I thought diners in El Nido close around midnight. It was only 9:45pm. I carefully selected my words when I began telling Miss Joy (saw the nameplate) that the place was recommended by a friend who happens to be the sister of the owner, Macky. To my chagrin, the name didn't sound family...er... familiar to Miss Joy. *blushes* She informed me that the owner is a certain Anthony. OMG! Me and my senior moment! I have totally forgotten Macky's given name. Hahahaha. Then, I continued my  dialog until the gracious lady mentioned Anthony Sabandal. Eureka! Mystery solved! It's confirmed! I was in the right place! *pants* Methinks my knowing that Macky was in the US made the very efficient team leader entertain me more and get my order. I sat and calmed myself while choosing what I wanted to eat from the menu book. 

Order given, I gave myself ample time to have an eyeful of the interior. The chairs caught my attention right away. They're giving Kenneth Cobonpue. 


The place exuded simplicity and class. If sister Cristy were able to join me, she would have commented about its good feng shui. The owner's keen eye for aesthetics could be seen in its architectural and interior design. An advocate for the use of Philippine-made products, I felt pride for Macky's Tales El Nido. It is more than a healthy option diner. It is a cultural emblem. 





How I wished Macky were there that night. We could have reminisced my two-day stay in their Navotas abode where I appeased myself from anger and hurt. An impulsive decision of a "rebeI without a cause" in the early 90's, I vividly remembered Nanay Elena who openly welcomed and treated me as her second daughter. For two days, they all made me feel at home. For two days, they became my family. Macky was still a grade schooler then. But I knew, he remembered having another Ate in their house. For this, I remain perpetually grateful. 

And now, here I am admiring the fruit of his industry, determination, creativity, and passion as an entrepreneur. Glad that I went to El Nido and discovered this eutopia. 

First to be served was my hot coffee mocha. Then after a few minutes, the chicken banh mi and the banana blossom salad followed. As a blogger, I had to do the mandatory shots. 







Instagrammable isn't it? Funny is I don't have an IG. Thanks to my creating a new blog, I can talk about Tales El Nido's food now. 

Everything gratified my taste buds. Also a Vietnamese cuisine lover, I was thankful that the sandwich tasted the way I expected it to be. My interest though was directed to the banana blossom salad. It was my first time to taste it. I surmised it's also a Vietnamese recipe because of the abundance of veggies and contrasting textures. I couldn't recall seeing it in Pho Hoa's and Hidden Vietnam's menus. Probably their chefs haven't learned it yet. Now, my being talkative had me sharing that I also knew how to cook banana blossom but in coconut milk ... the Bicolana way. *smiles* Really the salad was a delicious novel recipe and I savored its taste mixture of sourness, sweetness and little spiciness. 

Living up to my nickname Mau, which means cat, I became curious about this triangle-shaped oatmeal cookies that went with the salad. Miss Joy was ready for her answer. She told me that they're keto oats. Oh, wow! It's my first time to be served keto diet food. I could have jokingly asked her if the effect would be mercurial making me achieve my 60-kilogram weight goal right there and then. Hahahaha.


Undeniably, I fell in love with Tales El Nido at first sight and dine! Wish I could have come earlier so that I had also marveled at the look of the second floor though Miss Joy offered to take me there. However, I declined since I didn't want to take up much of their time anymore. 
I knew I was the reason why they couldn't still close Tales. 

As I left Tales El Nido I could feel that my stomach and heart were full. It did not only give me a lasting gastronomic experience, but it allowed me to toast for family, friendship and success. Knowing Tales is Anthony Flores Sabandal brought back lovely indelible memories about his inspiring family and him. 



Likewise, this episode reminded me about the kaleidoscope journey I have been having with his well-accomplished sister. 





Certainly, Tales El Nido is what you need if you want to bond with a group or just be alone and contemplative while being surrounded by a haunting visual beauty.


fin





Photo Credit:

Atty. Ma. Socorro Sabandal-Saballa

















 

No comments: