08 September 2024

CRC Peñafrancia Marathon 2023: My Bittersweet Mary in Bicol


I, Spicy Rabasera, appearing victorious and cocky with my entitlements from CRC Peñafrancia Marathon,
romanced again with the road for my first and only full marathon in my own beloved Bicol region on September 3, 2023. 


Don't be deceived though. Things are not always what they seem. 



Hear my story. 

Crossing the finish line at 7 hrs, 12 mins and 21.730 secs, I sincerely thanked my Naga City-based niece Christine, who surprisingly still waited for me even if she'd report to work late because if she hadn't, I would not have had my well-captured shots  of another running feat. 

Ooops... my stream-of-consciousness is on! 

How come I don't have the official finish line photos?! What the heck happened? There were several lensmen there whose camera were aimed at all finishers? Why was I singled out? What made me different? Was it my wearing a bandana on my face to be incognito?  Let me check for my photos at the finish line arc once more. Check. Recheck. Check. Recheck. My pictures? Zero. Zilch. Zip. Nothing. Nada. Tsktsktsk. Looks like I'm the only marathoner without a finish line snap. Whoa! This is a first.

Now that I am having this narration after a year and five days on the exact date of CRC (Caceres Runners Club) Peñafrancia Marathon 2024, I have to admit that one of the reasons why I was uninterested to talk about this event right away was because of this mind-boggling post-marathon discovery. The big NYATA (WHY) was really hovering above my head. WHY I, a Bicolana, received this kind of "snub" from Nagaueños, my fellow Bicolanos. *sniffs* Whatever the reason was, I am no longer interested to know. I considered it a petty matter  even though it's truly baffling. In fact I was about to message an FB moot whom I saw as one of the race marshals just to placate my suya (irritation) or is it more of anggot (anger)Huhuhuhu! Anyway, there wouldn't be a repeat for me in this CRC-organized marathon even if I was satisfied with the consistent hydration supply, overflowing runner's perks, overall finisher shirt quality, and impressive medal design. 


What I want to chronicle at this point, incomprehensive it may be, was the struggle I had to face head on before the eight-hour cutoff time. 


Nine kilometers (?) to the finish line I was jubilant after a fast downhill running in Carolina. 
My favorite part of any run route since this was where my running was strong, I thought I would be making a personal best while I excitedly recorded a selfie video and sent it to my family for updates.


However, prior to this downhill was a very slooooow progress for me. The almost 19-km uphill slackened up my pace. It's here where I wanted to loudly swear when I was told that the U-turn was already near only to find out that it wasn't. Grrrrrrrr! My legs were already dog-tired, thus I was in the verge  of giving up. Yet, I dragged my lower limbs and gulped lots of air  to pump them back to life. Perhaps seeing two male runners who were in the same plight as I was and the thought that I might be having my first marathon DNF in my territory pushed me until I finally reached the turnabout spot ahead of them. Hurrah! This IS the real thing! It's here where the organizers provided lechon (roasted pig), which was publicized as something to also look forward to in this Bicol marathon after BIM (Bohol International Marathon) 2023 had become the talk of the running community due to this Pinoy delicacy. Dae talaga mapadaog ang mga Bicolano! (Bicolanos wouldn't want to be upstaged!) *slow claps* I did not eat, but I took that opportunity to rest my muscles for around 10 mins before taking on the downhill. With the resupply of power, I had a sudden burst of frenetic energy which I wished lasted longer. Then, I suddenly stopped upon seeing near Caceres Heights the name Primus Hotel and Resort
the well-advertised family business of an academically gifted former student in college

Epilogue:


Frankly I was ecstatic but quite anxious about my performance in this marathon. The last time I ran in Bicolandia was in 2018. I had completely trained for it. Six years later I was not as confident as before because based on my personal assessment, my preparation was insufficient. For CRC Peñafrancia Marathon 2023, it was the same feeling but knowing I had my angel's vote of confidence that I'd make it through, I carried so much persistence and optimism. My niece's full assistance gave me these weapons when she brought me to the start area in her motorcycle at SM City Naga. She was my companion back in the hotel after visiting my older sister, her mother. My driver and para-physiotherapist, she was the one who applied kinesiology tapes on my calves.  



Actually it's not her first time to extend this kind of support to me. Tin and another niece, Yula, were part of my posse during T2K (Tagaytay to Kawit), my maiden ultra marathon in 2013. 




But, it was her first to witness how I got ready before a registered run when she saw my running regalia on the bed. 


As per bad practice, I just shut my eyes, but didn't sleep. Nevertheless, I knew I had the stored energy from my 11:30pm meal. Thanks to my chosen carbo loading menu, it prepped me up.  


Furthermore, I think the best form of carbo loading was the joy I derived from being with my two nieces and grandson. Or, was it my busking gig which boosted my endurance? Hahahaha. 






Really, Naga City had thrilling experiences waiting for me when I rode a van for the two-hour ride from Legazpi City on September 2, lunchtime. I wanted to attend the race briefing, but only caught the 'good luck' statement because of my delayed arrival. What I did afterwards was to look for Biggs, my fave Bicol fast food, and eat before returning to the hotel to ease up in anticipation for my sister's daughters and grandson's visit in the evening.  



Be it in Legazpi City, Albay or Naga City, Camarines Sur, I would always encounter epic happenings. The day before I left for Naga City, I had the biggest surprise of my life when Jem succeeded in having a secret plan with my five BUPES (Bicol University Pilot Elementary School) classmates/good friends (with one adopted "member") which led to a quick mini-reunion. I actually informed only her about my going home and set a dinner date. Her lovely surprise resulted in more happy hormones release and additional prayer warriors for my marathon. 








Preceding this get-together was our dropping by the house of another grade school batchmate/kumpare whom I was scheduled to visit too since September 1 was his birthday. True to the meaning of her nickname, Jem (Gem) revealed another big surprise for me! Ahem, Jem. 


Still at the cemetery, I had no inkling about my childhood best friend's/grade school batchmate's plan when she messaged me that she was on her way to the hotel for our tête-à-tête meal. Alas! She brought with her a male high school classmate/good friend whom I did not inform about my trip. *blushes* Then, we exchanged pasalubongs when Jem handed me THE Maria Magdamit necklace! I was gushing with praise! 



With my early arrival in Legazpi City, I had to patiently wait to have my check in. So while waiting, I had my breakfast there and made do of their available food in spite of craving for a hot and spicy ramen. My being entertained by the supervisor helped in warding off the impatience which was beginning to taunt me. Hahahaha. Time is of essence that day! That's why when I got in my room, I settled back for a few minutes and then headed to Daraga Catholic Cemetery to pay respect to my parents and maternal grandfather. It was an emotional visit as I thanked them, told them I missed them, prayed for the eternal repose of their souls, and asked them to guide me during my marathon. 




What a joyous feeling to be back in my hometown despite just an overnight stay before setting off for Naga City where my ninth marathon was waiting to be conquered! 


fin




Author's Note:

Dear readers, I employed reverse chronology here. I hope you're able to follow the series of events. A spicy thank you to all of you!🌶️💗


















No comments: