01 September 2024

El Nido's Challenge: Blend In


Am I in or am I out?

Should I blend in or should I not?
I wonder if these were also my sister's queries to herself the day we went to the meet-up point for the island hopping at 8:45 am on August 23, Friday under a drizzle. 



We arrived more than an hour early. Excited much? Nah. A good timekeeper, my sister already anticipated that our foreign companions in the island hopping would be punctual too. True enough, there were already several foreigners occupying the tables at Frendz Hostel. I guess we were only a few locals who were there. It was expected since my sister booked Haqqy Life, the tour operator in El Nido thru Klook, an international travel activities and services booking platform. 



So when we had a head count before 10:00 am, we confirmed that we Pinoys were outnumbered. There were 14 foreigners and seven Filipinos to be toured within seven hours by a five-member crew, official photographer included. After a group hug and pep talk, we trekked to the El Nido bay where the Haqqiness boat was waiting for us. Here the challenge began.



Getting on the boat, which was docked a short distance from the coast, meant that we'd swim toward it. The foreigners did it quick. It was a Level 1 test for us so we followed suit. Was it just a walk in the park for my sister and me? Ahem. 


For our first stop, it would be Entalula Island. It was a 40-minute ride. The white-sandy beach and its clear waters were a perfect spot to chill, frolic, swim, and even eat. 






Yes, there were stalls on the shore selling fresh buko, turon (fried banana wrap), cup noodle soup, and beverages. My sister Cristy and I patronized one store while reacting and joking about the high-priced items. Well, we all know that El Nido is one of the tourist destinations in the Philippines that have been gentrified so it's no longer surprising if the amount was doubled or even tripled. 


The Big Lagoon came next. I became very enthusiastic in finally reaching the most famous and published backdrop in El Nido, but not to kayak on our own. So, I requested Omar, one of the guides, to do it for us. We are not good swimmers and we would not dare attempt something which we're not confident about despite wearing a life vest. 

Up close the Big Lagoon was truly incredible with its emerald-clear water and limestone cliffs. I could have just lay down on the boat and luxuriated on its majestic beauty. Silently I renamed it to Lagoon of Paradise. 






Fresh from a short small cave detour, I kayaked after being assured by Omar that I'd be safe while he held the tow. 




In my desire to have even staged photos for this article, I yielded fleetingly. Hahaha. 



An hour passed we returned to the Haqqy Life boat and began our ride to Payong-Payong Beach where we'd have our lunch. After docking, it was at this point when going to shore was an extra-challenge for sister and me. I think we had to cover roughly 25 meters, but we struggled reaching the seaside. On the other hand, only one foreigner lagged behind but didn't show any difficulty. You see, with our limited swimming skills, my sister and I often worry about cramps attack under water. Good thing, the buffet lunch compensated for the "ordeal" that we went through. LOL.  


Looking at our tour companions, I could say that everyone enjoyed the menu - grilled tuna, chicken adobo, sweetened pork, veggies, etc.. Our taste buds had been accustomed to the distinct taste so it's understandable if we already had more than one serving. Besides, hungry tummies shouldn't be picky.  *chuckles*

After our lunch, we had a few minutes to take a dip, but my sister and I didn't indulge. The water seemed unideal for swimming since there were several boats that were docked. I just looked forward to our final destination, the Seven Commando Beach, where I'd resume my swim. 

Half-way to the third beach, the boat became stationary. Omar announced that we could do snorkeling, diving and kayaking again. Most of the foreigners went into these activities while those who didn't, resorted to more photo-ops with the spectacular seascape. 








After around 25 mins, we headed to Seven Commando Beach. This stop looked a little crowded due to a number of tourists who arrived ahead of us. There was a store that had more food options and also a volleyball court at the beachside where a friendly game was ongoing. 

Our pair ordered brewed coffee and mango crepe. Unfortunately, the latter wasn't available. It was fine with us as long as there's coffee and Happy Peanut! What an odd combo! Hahahaha. 


Since it's the last beach we're swimming in, all of us maximized our stay. 



It was here where I was able to carry a conversation with one of our fellow tourists. I found out that Sofina is a grade school teacher and regular backpacker. She had good words about the Philippines, and she'll be coming back for her future tours. Bless her for that! 


Allotted minutes over, we prepared to leave. We were the last batch to visit the island. Back on the boat, we weren't expecting the entertainment which awaited us while returning to the bay. Bernard, Ella and Omar, began a mini-concert and dancing where most of us participated in. From Backstreet Boys to Abba and then Taylor Swift songs, we sang and grooved without inhibitions. The boundary that separates nations became non-existent for a while. We blended in! It was an impactful way to end the tour as the crew did a wonderful job in delivering their company's name/tagline Haqqy/Happy Life! 







As we all disembarked from the boat, we acknowledged that the island hopping was worth it. We might have made new friends minimally, but we could all be united in saying that our main goal in going to El Nido and having this adventure has been achieved.





fin





Photo Credit: 

Lalesca Salvador/Haqqy Life 



















No comments: